Partner, Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla
Mazen has over 22 years’ experience in banking and finance law in the Middle East and has practiced in the UAE for more than nine years. He is a certified Professional Director from the Mudara-Institute of Directors and is a member of the UK Securities Industry Management Association (SIMA). He has also been awarded the CISI Level 3 Certificate in Derivatives, Securities and Financial Regulations, and Financial Regulations, and the Islamic Finance Qualifications (IFQ) and is a certified Basel III professional (2011) and DIAC qualified arbitrator as well as a registered practitioner before the DIFC courts. In 2012, Mazen was appointed by the International Finance Corporation (IFC) as a short term consultant to advise on UAE legislative matters in relation to security laws.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafting the twin-peaks legislation and associated legislation in relation to financial regulators for the benefit of the UAE federal government.
- Advising the IFC on drafting the law on movables security for the benefit of the UAE government.
- Supervised, structured and drafted a USD 60 million Islamic bridge financing involving a major Islamic bank in the UAE.
- Acted as lead legal adviser on the IPO of an Islamic insurance company.
- Worked on the acquisition by LGT of the Private Banking Business of ABN AMRO in Dubai in a deal worth USD 20 billion.
- Advising several local and international Financial Institutions before the DFSA Enforcement Department in relation to investigations conducted by the DFSA.
- Drafting the Financial Leasing Law for the benefit of the Ministry of Finance.
- Advised several UAE banks on their online and mobile banking applications.
- Working on the digital payment regulations for the Central Bank of UAE.
- Refinancing of a district cooling plant in an amount of C.1 billion Dirhams using an Ijarah structure.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Beirut Bar Association – Member
- Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment – Associate
- Mudara-Institute of Directors – Member
- Loan Market Association – Member
- Securities Industry Management Association (SIMA) – Member
- Hawkamah Institute of Corporate Governance – Member
- Lebanon (1997)
- Dubai – Registered Legal Consultant
- Mudara-Institute of Directors, UAE (2012)
- Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, UK (2010)
- Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, UK (2007)
- St. Joseph University of Beirut (1996)
- University of Paris II (1994)